I have finally received the inspiration I need for my bathroom. I know what I want to do, and thought I knew how I was going to treat the window. But this particular window needs some sort of permanent privacy, as the window is directly next to the commode and the window is on the street side of the house- Hence, the privacy issue.
I also like having daylight in all my rooms, especially first thing in the morning. That means no pull down shades, no mini blinds, really nothing that would be a traditional solution. So I am on a curtain hunt- for my specific problem...
I like the idea of solid panels for the bottom. Definitely will get the privacy needed. I would want to soften it up with an over curtain. Personally, I have never installed shutters, so that would be something new to learn.
Melissa's Weekly House Tour over at HOUSEography is continuing. Today we are touring Home Office Spaces
I wish I had dedicated room only for the office, but we don't. Instead we have a desk in an awkward space between the dining room and the living room. In some ways it is ideal. The computer and work space is in the main area of the house, which allows me (or anyone else who is working) to be with the rest of the family. And since we all have lap top and wi-fi in the house, if we ever really need privacy we can re-locate to a bedroom.
So here you have it. A basic Ikea desk set up. Since the desk is so visible, I try really hard to keep it clean and neat, which is always a challenge.
Luckily, we have all our printers and scanners and that kind of stuff connected wirelessly and stored in a basement closet, meaning I don't have to look at it.
Someday, I will have my own private space. Even if I have to build it myself, like this...
I am super happy to have another guest poster this Friday and a good bloggy friend as well, Thank you Sarah for helping me out, Make sure you check out her wonderful blog over at The Thriftress, you won't be disappointed.
Hi I'm Sarah from the blog The Thriftress. I'm so excited to be guest posting at Little Blue Chairs today. I have been saving up this project for today because it deals with something near and dear to Laurie: window coverings!
Next to a coat of paint I think window coverings are one of the best ways to add color and style to a room and they don't have to be expensive if you make your own.
When we moved into our house I chose these neutral striped curtains for our family room because they came in the right color palette and were on clearance for $10 a pop.
They got the job done but fast forward three years and my design plan for the room has evolved. I wanted to keep the casual feel of the room while adding a bit of modern flare. While I was at it I also decided that the curtains should be floor to ceiling length and to add panels to the sliding glass door opposite the windows shown above.
I did a little online shopping for fabric and fell in love with Premier Prints ZigZag Village in Brown/Natural. It's bold, graphic and oh, on clearance! For just $63 I purchased 13 yards!
What do you think?
The custom length really highlights the height of the ceilings!
And I love how the fabric adds interest around the sliding door.
The curtains were actually simple to sew with help from my Mom - just 4 straight hems and a rod pocket. Of course this project has touched off several other improvements to our family room. I hope you will stop by The Thriftress to check out my progress!
Yesterday I shared with you my dining room, but what I did not really cover was the new look of my dining room table and chairs. Over the last month or so I have given it a bit of a face lift, but I have been trying to get the right look for our dining set for years.
The oak table is one I inherited from my parents garage. I love that is old. Unfortunately the chairs that came with it were old, rickety and needing some serious repair.
At the time it was easier, and cheaper to buy a new dining set versus repairing the 4 chairs.
We ended up with this number...
It is fine, but I was never really in "love" with it. It just fit our need at the time.
However, when we got to our new place, I just wasn't feeling the rectangle and decided to bring up the round table, but use the new, more stable chairs...
As you can see both the wood tones and styles are just off. So I finally bit the bullet and painted the table, which was something I wanted to do for years, but was just basically chicken to do.
Now I was happy with the table, but still not thrilled with the chairs. However, I wasn't sure I wanted to go straight to the paint. So I held off.
And as things happen around my house, one day I decided the top of the table needed to be sanded. So I broke out the sander and got to work.
And about half way through my sander broke....
Luckily, I have some pretty awesome neighbors who loaned me their sander so I could finish the job.
You would think that once the paint was off I could just put on a coat of poly and call it good. I wish it was that easy, but I thought the color was still to red, just too oaky for my taste. I was looking for a more weathered look. (I knew the red color would show more intense when I applied the poly, it is not as obvious in the picture).
I then used a bit of bleach, then some pickling stain.
Which I was still not happy with (no picture). I then added a little bit of Jacobean stain over the top and then I was happy.
My table now sports a worn and weathered wood top, just how I like it.
After having the top completed, I knew that paint was the way to go for the chairs. I am loving the Dovetail Gray color. By painting it in this gray I am now OK with the shape of the chairs.
I may still be looking for new chairs...or not. I will just have to see.