I know that opening the blinds does not take a huge effort, but it is a little quirk of mine, and I just embrace it instead of fighting it.
In the past I had made some temporary privacy curtains for our living room windows. I either wanted to replace them with shutters or nicer curtains. Alas, shutters are priced out of my current budget, so privacy curtains they are.
Creating the knife pleats was easier than I thought. To make them I started out by determining the how long I wanted my hem to be. I decided on 3". I took a piece of fabric 8 inches long and folded it in half (it may not have needed to be that wide, but I like to make sure I have enough). It is important to know you will need to have a strip of fabric that is 3x as wide as your finished piece.
From there I decided how wide I wanted the pleats. I decided, very cleverly, that they would be as wide as my ruler.
From here I pressed in the pleats. Making sure the edge of the new pleat came right to the edge of the previous pleat, and making sure they didn't start to tilt. After this I pinned and basted the top of the pleats.
For the header, I wanted something easy and casual. I was inspired by some Arts and Crafts styled headers and came up with this, reversed box pleat-y thing. I am not sure what its offical name is, but it has an easy, casual look.
And there you have it. My new privacy curtains. These ran me around $30 dollars for the fabric. I was able to recycle some old rings I already owned and reused my existing tension rod.